Monday, June 20, 2011

Travel Update

Since I last mentioned I would be traveling, we have visited Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, and now Italy. We are in San Gimignano in Tuscany and it is beautiful here. Low carbing continues unabated. Last night for dinner, we ate at a very nice restaurant with a great view of the Tuscan countryside, and the meal was as good as the view.

I chose a salad for a starter, with the oh-so-good olive oil freshly pressed from local olives, plus a real light, non-acidic balsamic vinegar. Then I ordered the house specialty, lamb cooked over a charcoal fire and it lived up to its reputation. Today, we were in Pisa and had lunch at a sidewalk cafe. I had a salad with arugula, feta cheese, bacon, olives, and eggs. It was inexpensive (six euros) and perhaps one of the best salads I have ever had. The olive oil was mild and smooth and the balsamic vinegar was celestial. I guess the Italians are going to give the French a run for their money as far as cuisine is concerned.

For breakfast, I have been eating from the meat and cheese trays they serve at breakfast. I must say, I miss my eggs, but that is a small price to pay for the other cuisine I am experiencing in Italy. I have not eaten any Italian gelato (ice cream), though my wife and daughter tell me it is superb. And since I don't drink, I have not tasted any of the Italian wines, which my students assure me is wonderful, despite the inexpensive prices.

Tomorrow: Salzburg, Austria. I will see how easily low carbing can be done there, though I suspect it will be more difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment