Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Weekly Update

I lost 0.8 pounds this week, for a total loss of 25 pounds since I started.  Follow my weight loss progress with this chart.

Even more importantly, my blood sugars have been stabilizing at much lower levels.  My fasting blood sugar is going down (it was 106 this morning; 85 would be normal for a non-diabetic), and blood sugars two hours after a meal have been falling dramatically, and some times they are in the 90s (120 or under two hours after a meal is the standard for non-diabetics).  I experimented with a small dose of injectable insulin for the past week, but have stopped doing that.  Insulin interferes with weight loss and I think that is the reason my weight loss is not that large this week.  Under any event, I wasn't seeing any noticeable difference when using such a small dose.

Yesterday, I called my physician and changed my medication from Janumet to Metformin Extended Release.  Janumet, after insurance, cost me $65 for a one month supply.  The Metformin ER cost less than $14 for a 90 day supply.

So this is good news for me.  Stopping the injectable insulin saves me $70 per month and changing from Janumet to Metformin ER saves me another $60 per month.  That's a lot of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment