Saturday, May 14, 2011

Low Carbing in Belgium

It's been a good day today.  We started it off by going to the local Saturday market to buy fresh fruits, vegetables, and cheese.  We bought some tasty asparagus, fresh mushrooms, several types of French and Dutch cheese, raspberries, and strawberries, which are in season.  For dinner tonight, we had "lamburger" patties (made of lamb), mushrooms cooked in butter, and the asparagus (with butter).  Hint:  if you want your kids to eat vegetables, season them with bacon and butter.  That will do the trick.  For dessert, raspberries and whipped cream.   Who says one has to suffer on a diet?  It still amazes me that I can eat like this and lose an average of 2.6 pounds per week.  Besides, for me this is not a diet, but a change of lifestyle.

We've been stocking up the refrigerator: we bought hamburger, pork cutlets, various sausages, lamb, eggs, bacon, etc. Last night, we had fresh salmon for dinner.  Cooked in butter, of course. Eating low carb in Belgium is much easier than in the U.S. They eat real food over here.

I only ate two meals today, breakfast and dinner, but snacked on a bit of cheese and a beef stick.  I didn't even think about lunch until 3:30 p.m., when I realized I hadn't eaten.  We have been busy today running a lot of errands and getting ready for the students' arrival on Monday.  It's amazing to me that I can eat breakfast at 7:00 a.m. and not even think about food until 3:30 p.m.  Fat and protein really fill me up and take away those always intrusive thoughts of food.  I am loving life.

No comments:

Post a Comment