Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Carnivore in Europe

Well, I made it to Belgium.  I have discovered that the airlines will prepare all kinds of meals for people, but not for those of us on a very low carb diet.  I ate the chicken and the salad last night, and nothing else until noon today.  I left Fargo at 1:30 p.m. on Monday and now it is Tuesday in Belgium, 5:00 p.m.  Though I did doze a bit on the plane, I haven't really been asleep since I woke up yesterday morning.  So from the time I ate a small dinner until lunch, it was about 12 hours.

My colleague from the University of Antwerp took me to a favorite restaurant, t'Injaske, and I chose an Irish rib eye steak that came with a small salad.  It also came with potatoes, but I passed on those.  The steak was quite good; the Irish know how to raise good meat.  I then went shopping for some food this afternoon and discovered that eggs are much more expensive here than in the states.  I still bought some, and some bacon and cheese for omelets, plus some good French cheese, so I am set.  Tomorrow, it is off to Switzerland.  Hopefully, eating won't be too much of a problem while I am traveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment