Monday, April 11, 2011

Weekly Update

Wow, I lost 3.6 pounds this past week, for a new total loss of 24.2 pounds in eight weeks, or about three pounds per week on average.  Follow my complete weight loss by viewing this chart.

Based on some things I read over the weekend, I am also changing how I am treating my diabetes.  While I still hope to eventually normalize my blood sugars with diet and exercise alone, I have also started using a low dose of basal insulin again, to keep my fasting blood sugar reading down.  I had purchased quite a bit of the insulin, before I gave it up a few weeks ago, but now I will at least use some of it.  But instead of the 26 units a day I had been injecting, I am now doing 3 to 5 units.  And it is working.  My fasting blood sugars have come down quite a bit. Though since the insulin pens have 300 units and I will barely be using half of that before they expire, I will be throwing about half of the insulin away each month (once you start using it, you have to use it all or throw it away within 28 days).

And as soon as I am finished with the Janumet I am taking, I will contact my physician and switch to Metformin RX, an extended release version of Metformin.  According to what I learned, Janumet is a combination of Januvia and Metformin, but the Januvia portion has some unpleasant side effects.  Plus, Metformin RX will cost about $4 per month, whereas Janumet costs about $5 per pill, if you don't have insurance.  Even with insurance, it is about $65 for 60 pills.  Moral of the story: don't just pop pills your doctor prescribes, do some research.

I also noticed that fasting yesterday had a quite positive affect on my blood sugar readings.

No comments:

Post a Comment