Saturday, June 4, 2011

"What do You Eat?"

A question I am often asked goes something like this. "If you don't eat sugar, grains, potatoes, rice, flour, fruit, etc., just exactly what do you eat?" I have answered that a couple of times (here and here), but I always find it interesting to see what others are eating.

The Paleo 2.0 crowd is a bit more focused on healthy eating than I am.  By healthy, I mean they will usually only eat grass fed beef or lamb, only drink milk or eat cream or butter from grass fed cows, and only eat pastured chicken and eggs (chickens are carnivores by nature, and like other birds, they eat bugs and worms, not grain-based chicken feed). So I do find it interesting to see what they eat.  Emily Deans, M.D., a Paleo 2.0 psychiatrist in Boston, describes what she recently fed her family. Another Paleo 2.0 physician, Kurt Harris, M.D. (a radiologist) describes what he eats. Note, these are not prescriptive diets (e.g., "You should eat this way") but simply what they eat based on what they believe.

I linked yesterday to the Paleo food plate, which is quite an accurate description not only of what Paleo folks consume, but what I eat as well.

The point of this blog is that even when you stop eating the foods mentioned above, there are a lot of things you can still eat, that are tasty, nutritious, and filling. And, healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment